Wednesday 30 November 2016

Deckel FP2 - Fixing Vertical Ways

In its first lucky life, my FP2 was used as a sturdy drill press. At some point it went in for a refurbish and a new paint job to light green, as the previous owner stated more drill press work. Then it switched hands and got a nice pressure washer spring clean which forced water below the vertical slide, the little access port at the back trapped water, and so it started rusting. Which eventually caused considerable wear on the right way (FR) 0.05mm, compared to the left front way (FL)  worn to about 0.023mm.
When the transporters dropped it, I decided to take it apart to asses the damage. To my surprise, all oiling points where pumped full of grease. And I soon discovered the rusty spot. After pondering in the effort of taking it apart again in future against just fixing it now, I decided to scrape the ways and get it back to original as close as possible.
Firstly I measured both ways to a reference surface reference, a granite straight edge. Dan Gelbard has a few interesting videos on YouTube, specifically on machinist meteorology and what he calls duality theory. A true Master in my opinion. In short if two surfaces reference a third unknown surface, the two surfaces can be mapped. So I went and measured and then realized the original machined surface can be used as a reference.
Measurements
Below the measured results, which showed a slight inclination in my reference surface. I later used the original machined surfaces as reference. Below it can be seen that the straightedge inclined at about 0.03mm over the 800mm of vertical column. I did not bother to normalize  the measurements.
MeasurmentVals
tbc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chipmaster Gear Cutting

  Calculate all the possible gear combinations for the gear selector to cut a 15TPI thread: Imperial TPI C 5 24 20 Imperial TPI ...